Saturday, December 20, 2014

Higher power

It took me a while to process this post through my head.... and the crazy, busy weeks filled in the rest of the time.

On my way to my appointment to have the second procedure on my leg site, I was reminded that there is something bigger than me out there and I need to have faith.  Keep in mind, I'm not the most religious person but I do have my own sense of faith.  I believe there is a higher power but I haven't reconciled who she or he is yet.  But I believe and what happened on the way to my appointment reminded me it's ok to let go sometimes and just lean on your inner power. So here's what happened:

I left work a little early because if I didn't, something would happen and I'd be late.  I hit the road and tears were very close to the surface from the stress and sadness that this is my life now and the impending pain I knew was coming shortly.  In order to quiet the voice in my head, I turned the radio up loud. Really loud. Ear hurting loud.  I didn't care what was on but I needed the music to focus on.

And then this song came on:

"I Lived" by One Republic

[Verse 1]
Hope when you take that jump
You don't fear the fall
Hope when the water rises
You build a wall

Hope when the crowd screams out
They're screaming your name
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay

Hope that you fall in love
And it hurts so bad
The only way you can know
Is give it all you have

And I hope that you don't suffer
But take the pain
Hope when the moment comes
You'll say...

[Chorus]
I, I did it all
I, I did it all
I owned every second
That this world could give
I saw so many places
The things that I did
Yeah, with every broken bone
I swear I lived

[Verse 2]
Hope that you spend your days
But they all add up
And when that sun goes down
Hope you raise your cup

I wish that I could witness
All your joy and all your pain
But until my moment comes
I'll say...
[Chorus]
I, I did it all
I, I did it all
I owned every second
That this world could give
I saw so many places
The things that I did
Yeah, with every broken bone
I swear I lived

I didn't really hear the song until the line about taking the pain and then I really started to listen.  And hear the message in the song.  Then I started to smile.  I'd never heard this song before, I wouldn't have heard it if I hadn't left early, or been on that particular station, or so on.  In my family, we call these moments "God winks."  I don't remember where the term comes from but it refers to moments when God is sending us a message if we are listening closely.  You could call it Fate or Karma or Faith or whatever but it was a message I chose to listen to.  

If that wasn't enough, there was something else too.  It was a miserable, rainy day that afternoon. Mood fitting perfect.  I happened to look in my rearview mirror during this song and saw the most beautiful, full rainbow in the sky behind me.  I couldn't believe it.  I kept looking in my mirror to make sure it was real.  It was and combined with the line "I swear I lived" I was reminded of what this appointment was truly about.  The fight to live, to survive, and to thrive.  

I don't believe what happened was an accident.  Was it God, Buddha, Mohammed, or someone else?  My faith says yes because that's how I chose to see it.  As a message to fight on, tough out the rough moments, embrace the pain to get the healing, and know that in the end I would come out just fine.  

So, I'm 2 weeks past the procedure.  In fact, I just got the stitches out from it 36 hours ago.  The wound looks good and the margins were all clear.  So, the physical side is basically done but the emotional, mental message of that day still linger.  In some moments, I can't even believe it happened.  It's too freaky to understand if I think too long about all the things that had to happen for it to occur.  So, I don't think, I just believe.  And fight on so that I can say that "I lived" and enjoyed the ride.

2 comments:

  1. I was encouraged reading your blog. I loved reading about how God loved on you a little extra on your way to your surgery that day. I am a woman of faith and I've leaned on Him for a lot of comfort these last couple of weeks. I was diagnosed about 3wks ago with Stage 1a malignant melanoma. I go 7/23 for my 2nd surgery, being that my margins weren't clear from the 1st surgery. It's been overwhelming trying to research and educate myself on this disease. I'm so thankful to have stumbled across this journal of your fight! I plan to read your story from the start. Thank you for sharing your journey, it's definitely already encouraged me as I start out on this uncertain path. xo
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your frankness and sense of humor. I *just* found out I have melanoma 1.4mm and will be reading back on many of your posts for wisdom. http://megandewitt.blogspot.com/2016/02/i-have-cancer.html

    ReplyDelete