Sunday, March 18, 2012

Genetic testing

I wrote way back when that I didn't need genetic testing for the cancer gene, I already knew I had it.  I've started to question that initial wisdom and presumption.  I started to rethink this decision after finding even more research associating one cancer with a much higher risk of another.  Of course, melanoma is oh so kind to appear in that research far more often than I'd like.

The last few weeks, I've wondered if I should get tested.  The sensible side says yes and the other sensible side says, "What would you do with that information? Would it make a difference?"  There's where this debate comes down to it for me.  I know I am at a much higher risk for cancer. Duh!  But I knew that before getting my initial diagnosis.  I just wonder if knowing I'm at a higher risk of X kind of cancer would reduce my paranoia about the others and allow me to "relax" a little and be vigilant where most needed.  Or would it just ramp up my paranoia because a risk isn't a guarantee or insurance.  It also is no reassurance that I still won't stress myself out.

There's the basics of the argument I'm having in my head. Yes, I admit to that little voice that takes over most days still.  I guess it all boils down to will the testing help me?  And I don't have an answer yet.  Please feel free to share your thoughts, it might help me figure out mine.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete