Thursday, October 20, 2011

A different cancer view

Ok, I will admit it.  I have absolutely no idea who Giuliana Rancic is. Or was. I wouldn't have, and still won't recognize her in a crowd of two.  Of course, I keep an eye on most cancer stuff that crosses mainstream media.  Apparently, she is well known enough to qualify.  For those who are like me, I guess she is a fashion reporter on Good Morning America, or something similar.  (In full disclosure, I don't watch much TV).

I was surfing and saw that MSN had an article about her husband's comments about her lumpectomy that happened today. Again, I am out of touch and had no idea this was an on-going battle. I had wrongly assumed she disclosed the diagnosis because of Pinktober.  He made a comment that touched me deeply and summarized how I view life after my diagnosis.  I have struggled to explain to people how hearing the word "melanoma" changed my view of life and what is important or not.  His words finally hit on my feelings. I will be stealing them often and repeatedly.

Giuliana's husband said this about her battle, "She's really viewing life a little bit differently. It's funny when you go through a situation like this, it really turns the volume down on the things that really aren't that important."


I couldn't agree more.  I have really turned down the volume on things that aren't important in the big picture.  I hope she comes out of her battle hearing what is important and hitting the mute button on what isn't.  I know I sure have.

No comments:

Post a Comment