Tuesday, August 23, 2011

And the results are in

I saw the doctor yesterday and got the stitches out of my arm.  This scar has a slight S-curve to it now that the threading is gone. Pretty cool. At least better than a plain 'ol line.  Apparently, I've become a scar critic with my 7 new ones from this summer. It's funny the lessons that melanoma can teach you.

The results of the biopsies were the same as before and expected, but with one twist.  The lower area was completely benign and the upper one was dysplastic.  I was positive it would be the other way around based on the appearance alone.  This just goes to show you that this disease in sinister and doesn't play fair.

The stitches come out next week and I'm already thrilled with my decision to stick with closed wounds. I am able to avoid bandages and the pain is negligible compared to the open wound sites. Speaking of those first two, they itch like nothing I've ever experienced.  It's enough to drive you crazy and keep you up at night, literally.  I know it's a sign of healing but I just wish it'd go away soon.  All it takes is a slight brush of my shirt to set off the itch again.  I spend the next hour doing anything I can to not touch the area, even to rub it, trying to sooth the itch because I've learned that only makes it worse.  It's that phenomenon that makes your nose itch when your hands are full.  Next time you have an itch, try not to scratch it. See how long you can make it.  And let me know what worked for you if you can survive. I'll take all suggestions right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment