Friday, August 5, 2011

In sickness and in health

I've been married for almost 10 years, together a few more.  There are different vows for each marriage.  I wanted mostly traditional without the whole "obey" part and throw in some island references since we got married in Hawaii.  I like the traditional part of the vows because it is a reminder that marriage isn't easy for anyone but that you are getting a life partner to help you through those bumps in the road.

When my hubby and I said our vows, we were already in the sickness part. He was facing a potentially devastating and life altering injury. Worst case scenario his condition would worsen and paralysis could continue to develop and become permanent. Best case scenario, he would heal over time and we could delay surgery until technology evolved some more.  I knew this when I promised him "in sickness and in health." And I had no problems or hesitation in saying them. I meant every word and I still do.

So why was I so quick to offer him an out when I became sick with the melanoma diagnosis? I guess I didn't want to hold him to our vows. I wanted to let him out when  he could move on in case it got worse.  And you know what his response was? Of course, he meant our vows as much as I did. He had no intention of not honoring them.  Even with my offer.

I am hopeful that this too will pass and I will heal just as my husband did.  Either way, I'm glad I said those vows almost 10 years ago. And this is a nice reminder of why I said them and why they mean so much to me.  Now just don't get me started on the "until death due us part." I don't plan on enacting that section any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment