Thursday, August 25, 2011

Funny things we say

The people who know me the best will tell you that I can say the oddest things at the oddest moments. Sometimes it is being shy, sometimes it's a mispronounced word, sometimes it's because I linked one thought in my head to another seemingly random thought, and so on.  This melanoma journey has made me say things I'd never thought of and I'm sure I'm not the only melanoma patient who has said these and better yet, found them funny.

Here's just a short list:
Can I swim with an open wound?
Is this going to hurt later?
What about vaginal melanoma?
Why did this happen at 40?
Will my kids get melanoma?

And this is just the beginning. I can explain the rational behind all of the questions but as a list they are pretty darn funny.  Some make me shake my head. And laugh again.  The brain and thought process is an interesting thing when you find out you have a potentially life ending disease.  This is part of my maturation process as a patient though. I learned to not be afraid to "ask the dumb questions."  Sometimes the questions aren't so dumb.  And sometimes, they just are.  You consider yourself lucky when the doctor will answer them anyways with a smile on her face.  Right before she asks if you were pulling her leg.

Who knows what other Einstein inspiring moments and comments I'll have. I'm sure there will be some gems.  I'll try to remember them and write them down.  This will show how the brain reacts under intense pressure and how funny it can be when dealing with a decidedly unfunny diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment