Thursday, August 11, 2011

Biopsy #3 and #4

I had my two biopsies done yesterday like expected.  I keep hoping they'll get cancelled last minute but they never do. And deep down, I don't want them too since I just want answers right now.  Originally the doctor was going to separate the two moles since they were so close together.  She ended up removing them as one single unit and after marking their location first.  I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do this, maybe just a more cautious way.  I trust her decision either way.

I did ask her to do a "closed" biopsy, if possible, because of the healing/infection issues I had with the sites (#1 & #2)  on my back.  She said she could but it'd mean an additional appointment to get the stitches removed.  I told her that was OK with me as long as she didn't mind me taking up another slot.  She said that was a non-issue for her and if it'd help me, she could do it.  So, closed biopsy it was. (Pictures coming in next post)

The numbing medicine is great stuff.  For a few hours after the procedure, I could actually forget, for a few minutes, that part of my skin was now missing.  I lived life like normal.  Unfortunately, it doesn't last forever.  And when it wears off, it all goes together. No warning, no easing into it. Just WHAM..PAIN! You'd think I'd remember this from doing it so often lately, but my mind is being a little too kind to me. I seem to forget in a mere two weeks.  My next biopsy is in 7 days, I won't forget by next week.

I've decided to invest in a flesh colored sleeve, designed to cover tattoos, to wear the first few weeks of school.  I know the stitches will be out the Friday before my first students arrive but the wound will be very visible and still raw.  The sleeve will allow me to protect the arm/wound because most are SPF50 and I'll probably add some gauze for additional padding. Fourth graders are not very coordinated, trust me. And neither am I.

Today, I will walk around like a wanna be Napoleon, with my arm bent about 90degrees to allow the skin to stretch to adapt to the missing section.  I'm tempted to sling it just to remind me to not reach for anything quickly which would make it hurt more and/or rip out stitches.  It may seem like a little much but we are hosting a kids birthday party tonight and I know I will forget, however temporarily, that my arm shouldn't be stretched fully yet.  It's the mom in me. I don't slow down well but I am learning. Some times painfully.

Next post......more graphic photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment